A look at the habits and processes used by SEALS for developing exceptional mental toughness, and for pushing past limits. Leadership development.
- Leadership isn’t a set of skills or collection of behaviors. It is Character. Develop that and your leadership skills follow suit.
- Start by making a stand – the articulation of your character. This is your line in the sand.
- Find your purpose. Your stand answers What would I do? Your purpose answers Why am I here?
- Front site focus. Engage one target at a time and don’t shift your focus until it is dispatched
- KISS. First declutter your surroundings, then your commitments, finally your internal state.
- Communicate the mission by telling stories.
- Do today what others won’t. Find your 20x factor
- Embrace the suck. Acknowledge the pain then focus on the benefits it will bring.
- 3 kinds of challenges; requiring sustained effort, benchmark performance, crucible experience
- Solid character habits define a solid character
- Set SMART goals and review focus plan daily.
- Break things and Fail Forward Fast
- Break inertia with decisive action.
- Relaxed awareness vs focused awareness
- Stomach is known as the little brain due to thousands of receptors. Pay attention to it.
- Practice authentic communication
- Slow is smooth, smooth is fast
- Future me visualization and mental dirt diving (visualize success at a task and think through all possible outcomes)
- Box breathing to shut off stress and maintain focus
- Still waters run deep
- DIRECT. Detect, Interdict (Stop! No!! etc), Redirect (short internal dialogue focussing on positive), Energize ( visualization and body language. Gorilla up!), Communicate (mantra), Train (practice daily)
- What dog are you feeding? Fear dog or courage dog?
- Silver lining
- Yellow alert
- Kim game
- Mind gym for visualization practice, intuition